The Cathedral treats accessibility as a priority and has worked hard making the Cathedral accessible to all, and will continue working with partners to ensure that all visitors feel welcome. If you need any assistance during your visit please contact our Visitor Services Manager on 0151 702 7284 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The entrance to the main car park is via Upper Duke Street.
- The car park has designated bays for disabled parking
- Automatic door leading into the Cathedral from the disabled lift.
- The car park surface is tarmac and the overspill car parking is block paved.
- Assistance is available on request at the Constables Lodge. Please contact the Constables Lodge before your visit on 0151 702 7260.
- All signage is on an orange background with white text, and pictorial
- Accessible coach drop-off point 25 metres from the main entrance
- Local taxi firm uses accessible vehicles (please see contact details at the end of this section).
- Our usual opening hours of the Cathedral are 10:00 to 18:00 but please check our Opening Hours
- The Cathedral Constables' Lodge is staffed 24 hours a day throughout the year.
- You can contact the Constables Lodge before your visit on 0151 702 7260.
- Accessible lift from the car park to the main door.
- Entrance to the Cathedral is via two sets of steps (six & eight steps) with handrails and double doors (186 cm wide).
- There is a large welcome area offering personal assistance including paper and pens.
- Lighting is a combination of natural and diffused electric light.
- Seating is available for visitors.
- Manual wheelchairs are available for loan to visitors - free of charge (subject to availability).
- Most of the Cathedral is on a single level, with the sunken Well, used for exhibitions and concerts and over-spill for large concerts accessible via a chair lift.
- The Education Centre at the rear (east) of the building is also accessible via a chair lift.
- All steps have highlighted nosings and handrails.
- Staff are available to offer assistance where required and, for recognition, wear brown ID passes showing their name and the Cathedral logo.
- All indoor public areas are 'no smoking'.
- Induction loops in the Conference Rooms, Lady Chapel, Main Space, and Presentation Theatre.
- There is one accessible toilet near the shop (910mm entrance) and one as you get out of the lift at the Lady Chapel
- Baby changing facilities are available on the ground floor.
- Access to all WCs is level with no steps.
- Second-floor WCs accessed via a lift.
- Portable ramps are available on request to access split-level areas of the main building.
- Large print menus are available and members of staff are more than happy to assist visitors.
- The restaurant has a level entry with a wide door (180cm).
- Access to the outside porch via a wide door.
- Vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free, and sugar-free diets catered for.
- All tables are at the right height to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Single level for both inside and outside areas of the Welsford Cafe.
- Free Wi-Fi available
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott Suite
- Single-level access from the car park into, and throughout, the conference facilities.
- The car park has designated bays for disabled drivers parking
- Large open plan meeting areas.
- Double doors into both conference rooms.
- Lift up to the main Cathedral floor.
- Hearing loop and Wi-fi available as standard
- Level entry into the shop via main double doors (210cm aperture - always fully open) or via side door (91cm aperture).
- It is a large and spacious shop, assistance dogs are welcome.
- Shop counter lowered on one side to assist wheelchair users.
- Portable and cable-free credit card machine.
- Shop staff will gladly offer assistance with hard to reach items.
- External viewing camera with joystick control and large plasma screen at the base of the tower for insight into views from the Cathedral Tower for those who can not access lifts or stairs to the tower.
Attractions, Displays, Exhibits, and Services
- Interactive displays are pictorial and some are accompanied with Braille text.
- Many language options for the 'Welcome' leaflet
- British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters are provided at many of our large services and once a month at one of our regular services.
- Walkways are mainly level concrete and block paving.
- Benches are provided around the grounds for people to rest.
- Good, clear pictorial signage.
- 24 hour staffed Constable’s Lodge.
Lady Chapel - We have an accessible lift that enables visitors to access the floor of the Lady Chapel.
General: All front-of-house staff and volunteers have been or are undertaking disability awareness training and also the Cathedral's features and equipment.
All assistance dogs are welcome and can be provided with water bowls on request.
Telephone: 0151 709 6271 Fax: 0151 702 7292
Address: Liverpool Cathedral, St James’ Mount, Liverpool, L1 7AZ
Opening Hours vary, see our visiting times' webpage (opens in a new window)
Merseycabs: 0151 733 3393
Local Public Transport: 0871 200 22 33
We continually work with individuals and groups to improve our provision and all feedback is collected and responded to via our suggestion board and comments boxes.